The ADHD Effect on Couples Continuing Education Seminar Overview
THIS COURSE IS NOT CURRENTLY BEING OFFERED.
This course counts for 21 CE credits, see details.
Dr. Edward Hallowell
Sue George Hallowell, LICSW
Dr. Kevin Murphy
In all likelihood, ADHD impacts at least some of the couples you are currently counseling. This seminar, taught by four of the world's top experts in the topic, will provide the information counselors need to improve their effectiveness when treating ADHD-impacted couples.
Because of exceptionally high rates of marital dysfunction in these relationships, most counselors have at least some patients with ADHD-related marriage problems. But since more than half of adults with ADHD are undiagnosed, it’s not always obvious that ADHD is at the core of the couples’ problems. Furthermore, the skills needed to effectively treat these patients have not been taught in traditional curriculums.
In your practice, you need to know:
- what are the signs that ADHD may be a factor?
- what are the typical behaviors and interactions for ADHD-impacted couples?
- what’s the most reliable path to healing?
This seminar will answer those questions, and more.
You’ll Learn Critical Skills
After taking the ADHD Effect on Couples Seminar you will be able to:
- Correctly identify whether ADHD may be an issue your patients face
- Accurately place couples into the 3 step recovery progression and understand the ramifications of their placement
- Provide the appropriate advice for the particular stage and situation of your couples
- Identify common “traps” that your couples will fall into even before they get to them, building the strength of your relationship with them
- Assess whether or not the ADHD partner is being adequately treated for ADHD
- Address the expectations of each partner, helping them manage their interactions to promote healthy growth
- Teach your couples specific communication and interaction techniques that are compatible with one or both of the m having ADHD
You will get great tools for your business:
- 21 CE credits (full details here)
- The most recent information about treatment options and ADHD resources
- Worksheets that your couples can use to manage their lives better and reconnect
- Case studies you can use as reference
- Three important books for the field
- Connections with other therapists trained in these techniques
- A referral-generating listing on this adhdmarriage.com website, with your contact information
DATES AND COURSE CONTENT
All classes are held from 8:15-9:45pm EST and are recorded if you miss one. For a full agenda that includes learning objectives, go to this link.
THURSDAY, April 26, 2012 - Session 1
What Does ADHD Look Like in Your Practice? An Introduction to ADHD in Relationships
MONDAY, April 30 - Session 2
What Couples Therapists Need to Know About the Research on ADHD and
Couples Therapy Best Practices When ADHD is a Factor
Dr. Kevin Murphy
TUESDAY, May 8 - Session 3
Placing Your Couples into the Three Stages of Recovery and
Helping Couples Deal with Anger, Frustration, Denial, Hopelessness and Shame
Tuesday, May 15 - Session 4
The Diagnosis, Medication and Treatment of ADHD and
The Pitfalls and Pinnacles in a Marriage with ADHD
Dr. Edward Hallowell
Sue Hallowell, LICSW
Tuesday, May 22 - Session 5
Taking it To Your Practice: The Delicate Balance and
Communication Techniques that Work and
Tools for Therapist and Couple Use
TUESDAY, May 29 - Session 6
Major Issues Recapped and
TUESDAY, June 5 - OPTIONAL BONUS SESSION
Your Case Studies
The Convenience of Your Phone!
Attending these seminars is as easy as using your phone. Each week we will send you any presentation and reading materials you need. You can print out materials so you can easily take notes, choose to follow them on your computer, or store them away and just listen to our phone call. All presentations will be recorded, with those recordings available to any participant who wants to hear them again or catch up from a session they missed.
THIS COURSE IS NOT CURRENTLY BEING OFFERED. PLEASE CONTACT MELISSA ORLOV IF YOU WISH TO SCHEDULE CLINICIAN TRAINING.
If you have questions or complaints about this course, please contact Melissa Orlov.