“It is often forgotten that one of the most useful ways a parent can love a child is merely to notice who she is or what he does."
- Edward (Ned) Hallowell, M.D.
Do you feel heard and seen in your relationship? If not, I’ve got a simple, but very effective routine for you and your partner. I call it my ‘See and Be Seen’ exercise and it goes like this:
Pick a time each day to spend 5-10 minutes asking and answering the three questions below. Set an alarm as you get going so you can make it a routine and do it every day.
1. Tell your partner something you appreciate about who s/he is or what s/he did THAT DAY
2. Ask your partner ‘what’s the most interesting or significant emotion you experienced today?’ (Don’t judge or rebut…just listen to the response and get to know your partner’s experience better)
3. Tell your partner something you appreciate about him/her IN GENERAL
Simple, but effective.
NEW! Monthly check-ins for past seminar participants Need a refresher? My 6 month live check-in helps you and your partner freshen up your relationship. Starting Mondays, 7:30pm EASTERN TIME, June 4 - learn more.
For those in marriages impacted by ADHD
You can find great resources for couples impacted by ADHD at adhdmarriage.com, including free:
- Online treatment overview;
- Downloadable chapters of my books;
- A community forum with other couples facing similar issues;
- A large number of blog posts on various topics;
Is your relationship in trouble? Consider my highly acclaimed couples' course: ADHD Effect In-Depth Couples' Seminar - This 8-session phone seminar has helped many couples thrive in healthier, happier relationships. The next live series starts September 2018.