NOTE: This information was created for our ADHD and Marriage blog by coaches at RecoveryNation.com. It includes an overview of sex and porn addiction and ADHD, information about Recovery Nation as one possible resource (it's web-based and free), as well as seven good links to resources where people interested in the topic can get further good information. I thank them for their addition to this site.
ADHD and (Sexual) Addiction
What does this have to do with ADHD?
What is sex addiction?
How do I know if I have sex addiction?
- Am I engaging in unwanted sexually stimulating behaviour (unwanted in that it has a negative or potentially destructive impact on some area of your life)?
- Does engaging in this behaviour make me feel bad about myself?
- Do the possible negative consequences of engaging in this behaviour outweigh the positive feelings I associate with engaging in the behaviour?
- Do I continue engaging in the behaviour even though I have tried to stop?
- Has the amount of time I spend preparing for or engaging in the behaviour increased since I first began the behaviour?
- Have I sought ways to increase the stimulation I derive from the behaviour (i.e., added new elements to behaviour)?
- Do I think about the behaviour when I am not engaging in it?
- Does the behaviour appear to be part of a pattern?
- Does the behaviour contradict values I hold or is it out of character for who I project myself to be?
- Do I lie or act in secrecy in order to hide my behaviour?