Overview - DC Event
Anger and communication blow-ups are common for couples impacted by ADHD, who are typically quite different from each other in backgrounds and skillsets. This hands-on workshop focuses on two topics – diminishing anger, and improving communication around difficult topics. The goals of the workshop are to help couples:
- Cope more ably with anger from a partner
- Identify and better manage anger in oneself
- Improve communication skills with specific strategies shown to work for couples impacted with ADHD, so there are fewer anger interactions
- Learn how to get 'unstuck' from repetitive conflict interactions
- Develop a personal plan for how to better manage anger and communication which couples can build upon after completing the workshop
This fast-paced workshop is packed with expert information and opportunities for personalized learning. The workshop will combine:
- small sections of lecture to lay out the most common issues
- participant discussion of how this relates to their own situation
- specific, personal exercises targeted to improving communication around anger, monitored by the faculty for guidance
- discussion of learnings the group is having as we go along
- hands on practice of skills designed to improve how you manage and communicate around anger
- recap of the most important points from the participants in the room
- time for questions and discussion of your issues
Melissa Orlov is a top expert in how ADHD impacts couples. She is the author of two award-winning books on the topic, counsels couples, and teaches therapists around the world how to work with couples impacted by ADHD. She is the founder of www.ADHDmarriage.com
Janette Patterson, MSW, LCMFT has been counseling and coaching adults and couples with ADHD for over 25 years. Located in Silver Spring, MD, she offers DBT skills training and therapy to address concerns that affect couples and families.
The workshop is held over Friday evening, March 23, plus Saturday, March 24, all day. Couples are not required to attend the Friday evening portion in order to participate in the Saturday workshop, but it is highly recommended.
Friday, March 23, 2018: 7 - 9pm
- How Does ADHD Impact Your Marriage?
Saturday, March 24: 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Anger and ADHD Communication Skills Workshop
Limited to a maximum of 8 couples
Coffee, lunch, afternoon snack included.
The Nora School
955 Sligo Ave
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Statements are available for insurance reimbursement use. Check with your insurance provider to see if they cover out of network coverage for mental health support.
Registration and Tuition
While the Friday night event is not required, it is highly recommended fas preparation for the workshop on Saturday as we will be setting up some of the workshop topics.
Price for the seminar on Saturday is $475, per couple, and includes the Friday evening presentation. Registration includes food and beverages, but does not include transportation or hotels.
Register for Anger and ADHD Communicaion Skills Workshop
Refund policy: We offer 100% refunds through March 6, 2018; $100 fee subtracted March 7-19. No refunds after midnight, March 19th.