I had suspected my DH had ADHD for months. We were seeing a therapist for one of our children for another reason and so was able to discuss one-on-one with him. He agreed to do the eval on my DH and ended up diagnosing DH with ADHD - PI. However, he said DH only needs meds - no therapy. WHAT!?!?!? The shocker was when he told me that I have Obsessive Compulsive Personality Traits and I need months of therapy.
Of course, when I read what the traits are, I think anyone living with a spouse with unmanaged ADHD would exhibit these traits/thoughts:
- I am fully responsible for myself and others
- I have to depend on myself to see that things get done.
- Others tend to be too casual, often irresponsible, self-indulgent or incompetent.
- I need order, systems, and rules in order to get the job done properly.
- If I don't have systems, everything will fall apart.
- Details are extremely important.
We have six kids whom he home-schools while I work a full-time job outside the home. If I didn't do all of the above things, how much more chaotic would my and my children's lives be? Anyone else run into this from a therapist? I would switch therapists in a heartbeat, but I know DH will never cross the threshold of another one. The only reason he was going to this one was because of the issues with our child.