Reading the book, frustrated finding help

I'm the more ADHD of the two, and have begun reading Orlov's book.  I'm about half way through and have noticed and emphasis on finding "someone who knows how to treat ADHD".  This emphasis seems critical, and I can imagine why.  The wife and I are seeing a marriage counselor now, and while she is a licensed family therapist and knows some of the difficulties concerning ADHD, I'm not sure she is the specialist that will help me through the specifics of my symptoms.

To complicate things, I would like to find someone that falls under my companies health benefit plan (since money is always a problem).  For the past two hours I've unleashed my hyperfocus trying to compare those specialists listed on the local CHADD website to the list of specialist on my insurance provider list and have come up with no matches.

Conceeding that the CHADD list didn't have any matches on my provider list, I decided to go through the insurance provider's list seeking those that listed "Adult Therapy" and "ADHD".  It seems like this approach is much like throwing darts, If I find a specialist and try to go to their website to see their disciplines, location, times, etc. their websites are down or useless, and Google doesn't help on this front as it is chocked full of useless content agragation pages.

Has anyone found a good approach to finding a recommended adult ADHD therapist/specialist/psychiatrist on their insurance without feeling like they were throwing darts trying to get lucky?


I have spent countless hours

I have spent countless hours on the phone...not only with our network administrators but with various providers. It is extremely frustrating, but the only way I have found to find a provider familiar with ADHD that is covered under our plan. Once you find a list of providers covered under your plan (most will be psychologists who cannot prescribe meds) then you start calling and asking specifics about their qualifications to treat someone with ADHD. If you want to try meds, you'll have to have your psychologist co-ordinate with your medical doctor or find a psychiatrist in your network. They typically do not do counseling, just diagnosis and prescribing.  Best of luck!

Maybe you could try different

Maybe you could try different areas too. Sometimes a huge reputable doctor will have the name of someone in your state or close to your area. We found a good place here. I know that doctors go to seminars and conferences and get lists of names of other doctors that treat similar patients.. Call a hotline or a website that is all about adhd and see their recomendations for your area. I had/have a counselor that will do phone sessions that count for office sessions. Same price but more convenient as she is an hour away depending on traffic. That makes for a three hour block of time that I lose to see her when I drive. The web opportunities are better today. Maybe a great adhd counselor could skype or do video conferencing... Then, you only would have to find a meds doctor, as they don't counsel you anyway... They only prescribe medicine.