The older I get, the more I realize just how precious each day is. And how much faster each day speeds by!
When it comes to marriage, I think it’s important to understand that time is the one precious resource that you can never, ever get more of. You may choose to retreat from your partner or from your problems. It is a common coping strategy, but I urge you to make it only a very short-term one. Instead of continuing to retreat, seek help from a professional, from a course, from books that can provide insight and inspiration. Even if you are tired of all of the work and the struggles you face, remind yourself that you will never get this time back again. Your life is precious. Your time is precious. Your connections with family are precious. If ruptured, they need to be fixed.
Towards that end, here are some of my favorite resources for making your days and life better:
• My couples seminar is the best resource available for couples impacted by ADHD who wish to create change, not just learn about their issues.
• Dare to Forgive can help you start to move away from the stranglehold that negative feelings about your past together creates. When you forgive your partner and yourself you are more likely to be able to move forward.
• Working with a professional who understands ADHD. See my Resources Page for specific suggestions.
• My couples seminar is a game changer for many, as is getting an evaluation (if you haven’t had one) and starting to optimize treatment for ADHD (see my free treatment e-book on my home page for more on this)
• Mindfulness training can help one manage ADHD – The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD is one resource for this. There are also courses you can take in person that are more generally about mindfulness (Google some in your area).
You can find many more resources at my website, ADHDmarriage.com. Please explore it, and send me questions if you have them.
Free VIRTUAL OFFICE HOURS with Melissa to support you during the COVID-19 crisis. More information is here.
Tuesday, June 9 7:30 - 9pm EASTERN time
For those in marriages impacted by ADHD
You can find great resources for couples impacted by ADHD at adhdmarriage.com, including free: Online treatment overview; Downloadable chapters of my books; A community forum with other couples facing similar issues; A large number of blog posts on various topics; Referrals. Adult ADHD can have a huge impact on your relationship. ADHDmarriage.com can literally change your life!
Is your relationship in trouble? Consider my highly acclaimed couples' course: ADHD Effect In-Depth Couples' Seminar - This 8-session phone seminar has helped many couples thrive in healthier, happier relationships. The live session starts Fall 2020.
Support Tele-groups - Be part of a community exploring similar issues; learn from each other's successes and struggles; and find new, more effective ways to be your best self in your relationship: Non ADHD Partner Support Tele-group.